top advertisement


Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tiger To Build Another Course



I can't help but wonder what it's going to take for Tiger to build a golf course in his native Southern California. We've got the land, the space, and if you're like me, you know the Southern California's public course landscape is in need of some venerable, solid and most of all, affordable golf courses. I'm not talking about the fancy, overbuilt, over-hyped mega-million dollar developments. But instead honing in on the core golf market and building more course like Rustic Canyon, which despite its rave reviews for being a top course in So Cal, it's also less than $40 bucks to play (during the week). That's 1/4 of what it costs to play at some of the other new courses built down here.

Nonetheless, Tiger is getting closer. He's going to design a course in Ensenada, Mexico, which I can say having been there, is an interesting choice. First, you have to drive through Tijuana to get there-- a town not known for its charming personality. I suppose you could take a cruise there too, but good luck playing 18 holes after a 9-course lobster dinner the night before. And once you're there- umm, maybe it's best to chillax at the hotel and not mingle outside the confines. That is, unless you care to unleash your inner party animal and ham it up with the 18-20 years olds who flock there in the summer months for the easy access booze. (Having been there/done that, I don't recommend it if you want to play your best.)

I guess it's fair to say that the land in Ensenada can be beautiful and you can have a lot of fun there (maybe too much), so long as you don't mind the trek it takes to get there. Naysayer am I? Nah, I'm just bummed that it takes me $100+ and/or 7 hours to play golf around here. And now to play a Tiger-designed course, I not only have to drive 5 hours+, I have to hop the border and hope I make it back in one piece.

It's us So. Cal. golfers who are most likely to head to Ensenada to play golf anyway. So why not build something a little closer? Come on Tiger, help a fellow Angelino out.

Scratch that.

Help an American out.

Here's the SCOOP

No comments: