top advertisement


Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What Golf Sounds Like

During Sunday's final round at Augusta National, television viewers and Masters patrons roared, gasped and even shed a tear as the final round unfolded. That's what professional golf sounds like in the middle of a major tournament.

But what does golf itself sound like?

Today we've posted two videos that begin to answer that question.

The first is from Dr. Robert Grober, Yale Professor of Applied Physics. I'm testing his invention, called Sonic Golf System-1, this evening here in LA and if sounds anything like it does in this video (recorded at this year's PGA Merchandise Show), it'll be the closest I've ever come to swinging a club and wielding (what sounds like) a lightsaber.

The Sonic Golf System may be the most fascinating (and most intelligent) example of auditory feedback to ever hit the training aid market.



In another video (posted below and provided by Mizuno Golf) Mizuno Golf's Golf Club R&D Manager, David Llewellyn, compares the sound of Mizuno's MP-67 and MP-52 irons to a few competitors forged and cast offerings. The MP-52, Llewellyn notes has a "longer and richer sound" than its competitors. After he strikes one of the clubheads and it makes a high pitched sound, Llewellyn says "that is the sound of feel." (All Mizuno's forged irons are "grain-flow forged.")

How does a richer sounding golf club help your game? According to Llewellyn, the better it sounds the more it provides "maximum feedback." Basically you can feel the ball on the face longer.

A whimsical footnote: at the end Llewellyn "plays" the clubheads like a percussionist in an orchestra. Those clubs sound great!


3 comments:

Golf Club Ratings said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Tucson Foreclosures said...

I think this is a great topic. I like it very much. Its so interesting. Can I have more information on this. Thanks

Las Vegas Foreclosures said...

I enjoyed reading this blog. The video is awesome.

Las Vegas Foreclosures